Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wear the sticker...........

So on Thursday at work we were asked to wear a sticker to support the efforts of the Union and our contract negotiations. The sticker read:
Great Teachers
+
Fair Funding
=
Student Success

While I can't argue with the logic of the formula, I can argue with the logic of the effectiveness of wearing a sticker at school. The only people who are going to see it in school are the students, and I don't think they have much control over the funding in the district. I got the sticker and didn't wear it and explained the above logic to a teacher who told me, "that's the point. We are showing the students that we are trying to increase their success but are unable to because of the lack of fair funding." Really, do you think the students are picking up on that? I went the whole day without wearing the sticker.


2 comments:

edgrimly said...

The students dont know the union pursuits from adam. The thought is that they will tell their parents that this is going on. And the parents then go on to use their local govt officials to make the whole situation better again. Fact is, everybody wants a unicorn, but nobody ever gets one.

Muntaba Lambego said...

I don't want a unicorn